What’s your morning routine? A cup of coffee, mindless scrolling the phone, perhaps a “healthy” breakfast like sugar-loaded, store-bought granola? A big part of getting healthy starts right here where we replace that healthy breakfast with a restorative medicine breakfast.
When my patients get started on a restorative medicine plan, many struggle with this important change they need to make. It takes a degree of planning and consistency. Many find it difficult,
Some have routines very different, but still routines: Like hitting the snooze button four times, dash to shower, rush out the door and grab a sugar-loaded coffee drink from Starbucks on the way to work, or at least they did back when we went to work and Starbucks was open!
As soon as they admit they already have routines, we can work to change them toward not the restorative medicine breakfast plan I teach.
While the changes I recommend feel like a big change, they really aren’t. It’s just a matter of replacing one routine that hurts our health into a routine that builds up our health.
But here’s the key to a restorative medicine approach to your health: Start small with one impactful change first. All you have to do is FIRST, before the breakfast or the tea or coffee, drink 16 ounces of pure celery juice.
That’s it. One glass a day and you’ll be on your way. Later you can add more of the changes to develop a healthy breakfast plan.
Why celery juice with a restorative medicine breakfast?
So why celery juice?
Celery juice could be considered a miracle beverage.
Unlike other healthy foods, celery is 95% water and is low in calories. It contains tons of different nutrients, vitamins, fiber, antioxidants, is an alkaline food and it even has a low glycemic index!
You can see, I get very excited about this subject–and I’m going to explain exactly why and how it can help with many ailments due to its nutritive values.
First, you may be wondering “why can’t I just eat celery instead of juicing it?”
The answer is simple. When the vegetable is broken down it releases even more vitamins and minerals due to the decrease in fiber. You can also drink a lot more celery more than by eating it, therefore increasing the number of powerful antioxidants.
Imagine eating an entire bunch of celery at once? That’s about 8 or 9 stalks. A healthy breakfast eating that much celery would challenge the most committed of us!
Instead, put that all in the juicer or blender and you’ve got one glass of everything you need to start your day, no chewing required!
Celery Juice is the key to many ailments
With all its nutrients, celery juice helps overall health with numerous benefits. Here are just a few ways celery juice can help you feel better:
- Helps with digestion and promotes regularity thanks to the fiber with one stalk providing about a gram and works as a natural laxative to reduce bloating, constipation, and water retention
- Helps with blood-clotting, bone health, and healing wounds as it contains about 15% of our daily vitamin K requirements
- Has anti-inflammatory properties to guard against inflammatory conditions such as arthritis and osteoporosis thanks to its flavonoids. It also contains polyacetylene which reduces chronic joint pain, gout, and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Contains at least 12 different antioxidants according to the Journal of Evidence-Based Complementary & Alternative Medicine in a single stalk of celery. Antioxidants remove free radicals from the body to boost immunity and potentially destroy bad cells, like cancer, from the body and prevent heart disease. Antioxidants also promote healthy skin and can treat psoriasis and acne
- Reduces blood sugar levels thanks to its low glycemic index, helping to regulate glucose and insulin which can promote weight loss and prevent diabetes
- Provides hydration because of the high level of water and electrolytes and potassium
- Lowers cholesterol with a compound that has been reported to have lipid-lowering action, reducing the bad cholesterol (LDL) in our bloodstream. Celery juice also boosts the secretion of bile, which can help reduce cholesterol levels as well
- Prevents chronic diseases because its one of the most alkalizing foods
And that’s just a shortlist!
Tips for celery juice routines
It’s best to drink celery juice first thing in the morning.
It can help absorb the foods you eat the rest of the day because there is a high amount of natural sodium. These salts may also increase and strengthen our livers’ ability to produce bile used for breaking down fats and eliminating wastes.
Celery juice is packed with micronutrients like vitamin K, vitamin C, folate, manganese, calcium, riboflavin, magnesium, vitamin B6, vitamin A and, beta carotene, you will get most of your nutritional needs before your day even starts.
“Celery juice is a medicinal drink, not a caloric one, so you’ll still need breakfast afterward to power you through the morning. Simply wait at least fifteen minutes after drinking your celery juice before consuming anything else,” says Anthony William, The Medical Medium
Go ahead, enjoy a glass of freshly made celery juice today…and every morning!